Zelal Jaber Kharaba, Ph.D
Abu Dhabi Campus
Ph.D. in Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice Faculty of Medical Sciences – School of Pharmacy Newcastle University, United Kingdom
MSc. Nutrition Medicine and Prevention, Institute of Clinical Nutrition, University of Hohenheim- Germany
B. Pharm. (honorary), Faculty of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Ajman University, U.A.E
Associate Degree: Honorary Associate Lecturer, Institute of Cellular Medicine- Faculty of Medical Sciences- Newcastle University, UK
My research interests are related to the field of Clinical Pharmacy, Pharmacy Practice and Respiratory Medicine (Asthma and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea). I actively involved in different research projects related to medical sciences, clinical trials and clinical nutrition. I am currently working in collaboration with Meakins-Christie Laboratories pulmonary research Centre: pulmonary, allergy, and critical care research at McGill University Health Centre- Montreal, Canada in collaboration with Sharjah University and Rahid Hospital, Dubai, UAE in biomarkers of inflammation (IL-4, IL-5, IL-6, IL-8, interferon-δ and TNF- α) in patients with Asthma and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea.
- Al-Azayzih A, Al-Azzam SI, Alzoubi KH, Jarab AS, Kharaba Z, Al-Rifai RH, et al. Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs Utilization Patterns and Risk of Adverse Events due to Drug-Drug Interactions among Elderly Patients: A Study from Jordan. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2020;28(4):504-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jsps.2020.03.001. Epub 2020 Mar 20.Cite Score: 3.84 (83%) Q1, Scopus Index.
- Kharaba ZJ, Buabeid MA, Alfoteih YA. Effectiveness of testosterone therapy in hypogonadal patients and its controversial adverse impact on the cardiovascular system. Critical reviews in toxicology. 2020;50(6):491-512. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408444.2020.1789944. Cite Score: 8.00 (91%) Q1, Scopus Index.
- Kaukab I, Shah SNH, Kharaba ZJ, Buabeid MA, Alfoteih YA, Murtaza G. Effect of clarithromycin pre-treatment on the pharmacokinetics of metoclopramide after their simultaneous oral intake. Expert opinion on drug metabolism & toxicology. 2020;16(8):735-40. doi: 10.2174/1389200220666191105115805. Cite Score: 2.2 (54%) Q3, Scopus Index.
- Kharaba ZJ, Buabeid MA, Ibrahim NA, Jirjees FJ, Obaidi HJA, Kaddaha A, et al. Testosterone therapy in hypogonadal patients and the associated risks of cardiovascular events. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2020;129:110423. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2020.110423. Cite score 6.4 (81%) Scopus index.
- Shamim S, Khan M, Kharaba ZJ, Ijaz M, Murtaza G. Potential strategies for combating COVID-19. Archives of Virology. 2020;165(11):2419-38. Cite score 4.2 (49%) Scopus index.
- Iqbal A, Azhar S, Ibrahim NA, Kharaba ZJ, Iqbal MM, Khan SA, et al. Thyroid cancer risk factors and Pakistani University students’ awareness towards its preventive practice. Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice. 2020:1078155220925166. DOI: 10.1177/1078155220925166
- Kaukab I, Hussain Shah SN, Kharaba Z, Murtaza G, Saad AA, Ahmad S. Evaluation of Pharmacokinetic Interaction of Cilostazol with Metoclopramide after Oral Administration in Human. Current drug metabolism. 2019;20(11):924-8. doi: 10.2174/1389200220666191105115805. Cite Score: 2.2 (54%) Q3, Scopus Index.
- Kharaba Z, Kousar R, Alfoteih Y, Azhar S, Khan SA, Murtaza G. Nurses perception of pharmaceutical care practice: A qualitative approach. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020;19(4):87-892. http://www.tjpr.org http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v19i4.30
- Kharaba Z, Kousar R, Azhar S, Buabeid MA, Khan SA, Murtaza G. Exploring community pharmacists perception towards responsible provision of patient care services: A quantitative assessment. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020;19(4):879-85. Cite Score: 0.54 (37%) Q3, Scopus Index http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v19i4.29. Cite Score: 0.54 (37%) Q3, Scopus Index
- Buabeid MA, Ibrahim NA, Kharaba ZJ, Umar MI, Murtaza G. Targeting of protein expression in renal disease using siRNA–A review. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020;19(6). Cite Score: 0.54 (37%) Q3, Scopus Index
- Kharaba Z, Burns G, Ward C, West S, Hamid Q, Mahboub B, et al. A proof of concept study describing extraoesophageal reflux in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea and asthma and the effects of continuous positive airway pressure. Eur Respiratory Soc; 2019. doi: 10.1183/13993003.01376-2019. Cite Score: 4.82 (95%) Q1, Scopus Index.( Abstract)
- Almas U, Kharaba ZJ, Khalid M, Buabeid MA, Sattar F, Tahir R, et al. Effectiveness of Conventional Versus Low-Dose Oral Isotretinoin in the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Acne. LATIN AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHARMACY. 2020;39(5):986-90. *Authors correspondence equally to this article. Cite Score: 0.34 (31%) Q3, Scopus Index.
- Ward C, Kharaba ZJ. Regarding epithelial dysregulation in obese severe asthmatics with gastro-oesophageal reflux. European Respiratory Journal. 2019 Oct 10;54(4). pii: 1901376. doi: 10.1183/13993003.01376-2019. Cite Score: 4.82 (95%) Q1, Scopus Index.
- Yassen Alfoteih, Saeid Azizi, Laleh Khajehkarimoddini, Zelal Jaber Kharaba, Salimbabu Abdullah. SHISHA–THE HAZARDOUS PASTIME: MICROBIAL INVESTIGATION OF SHISHA APPARATUS IN PUBLIC CAFÉS IN THE UAE. Malaysian Public Health Physicians Association. 18(2):101-108
- The 6th International Therapeutic Diet Conference, Dubai, Armani Hotel, Saturday 17th Oct 2020
- The second Wave VIPES 7th Live Webinar, Virtual Pediatric Essentials19th Oct 2020
- Med+Safe Virtual Training administrator for ACN (Australian College of Nursing) and the CPD Standards Office 24th Sep 2020
Med+Safe Virtual Training administrator (online on-boarding training for: Med+Safe) for ACN (Australian College of Nursing) and the CPD Standards Office 2nd Sep 2020.
- ‘Online scientific writing program’ organised by Editage for New Emirates Medical Journal 27th Aug 2020
- Live Online Webinar (Formulary Management) organised by Emirates Medical Association, Emirates Pharmacy Society 14Th Jul 2020.
- A proof of concept study describing extraoesophageal reflux in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea and asthma and the effects of continuous positive airway pressure. The European Respiratory Society International Congress, ERS 2019. Madrid, Spain 28 September - 02 October 2019. Poster Presentation.
- Extraoesophageal reflux in patients with asthma and obstructive sleep apnoea - Abu-Dhabi Pharmacy Conference, 25-27 April 2019. Poster presentation.
- Smart aging philosophy- Cigalah medpharma and MartiDerm - Sophitel Hotel- Palm Jumirah- Dubai- UAE 20th of March 2018, Panelist member.
- ICM Research Seminar, Wednesday 29th of March 2017 Dental Lecture Theatre F, Medical School, Newcastle University, UK. Chair
- Malabsorption and Malnutrition, as part of the sixth annual meeting of the project “Together for the prevention before treatment” under the slogan (Health Embossers) Mushairef Health Centre, 1st of March 2016, Keynote speaker.
- Fundamentals of First Aid, to High school students as part of the program of spring camp for school students, Ajman University, 28th of March 2016
- Food Safety, to staff and employees at Department of Finance, Ajman, UAE, 12th of January 2015, Keynote speaker.
- Nutrition and Chronic Diseases, as part of the fourth annual meeting of the project “Together for the prevention before treatment” under the slogan (A HEALTHY FLASHES) Mushairef Health Centre, 29th of April 2014, Keynote speaker.
- Asthma and Respiratory Diseases in UAE, Ajman University-College of Information, Mass Communication and Humanities, 10th of December 2014, Oral Presentation.
- The 20th Annual Meakins-Christie Workshop- Gulf Thoracic Congress 2018 International Symposium on Asthma and COPD, 15th and 16th of March 2018, Intercontinental Hotel – Festival City, Dubai – UAE.
- DUPHAT (Dubai International Pharmaceutical and Technologies Conference and Exhibition), Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Center- UAE, March 2000- March 2018
- Awareness Presentation entitled (Lipids and Triglycerides), as part of the seventh annual meeting of the project together for the prevention before treatment under the slogan (Future visions) Mushairef Health Centre, 31st of April 2017
- 5th Regional Conference on Diabetes 2017 hosted by the Rashid Centre for Diabetes and Research (RCDR) at the Fairmont Ajman, Ajman, UAE, 29th of April, 2017
- World asthma day in the UAE, Raffles Hotel, Dubai, 27th of May, 2016
- Nutritional aspects in critical ill patients, Fairmont Ajman Hotel, 14th of May 2016
- Posters: (Ranked of Diabetes in U.A.E. & effectiveness of Metformin), DUPHAT 2015- Dubai- UAE, 8-10 March 2015
- Application of Pharmacology in the current Pharmacy Practice, Radisson Blue Hotel, Sharjah, 11th of November 2015
- COPD and Smoking Cessation Conference, Ajman University, 10th of May 2015
- Emirates Respiratory Conference, Dubai Intercontinental Hotel, 24th of October 2014.
- Workshop leader – How to design your epidemiological research structure and design at a glance. The 14th International conference on Infectious disease, Prevention and Control-Dubai 29th of April 2019.
- Training session: Bioplex Training Agenda- Sharjah University 28th of August 2017.
- Lunchtime Mindfulness, Newcastle University- Thursday 1st of Sep 2016
- Teaching Opportunities for Research Students, Newcastle University- Tuesday 11th of Oct 2016
- Non-Medline Library Databases, Newcastle University- Tuesday 11th of Oct 2016
- Lunchtime Mindfulness, Newcastle University- Wednesday 26th of Oct 2016
- Public Speaking (NEPG support), Newcastle University- Wednesday 2nd of Nov 2016
- Basic Stats (ISRU), Newcastle University- Wednesday 23rd of Nov 2016
- Data Handling and Spreadsheet Skills, Newcastle University- Monday 28th of Nov 2016
- Academic Writing, Newcastle University- Thursday 12th of Jan 2017
- Managing Long Documents, Newcastle University- Thursday 12th of Jan 2017
- Basic Stats (ISRU), Newcastle University- Tuesday 24th of Jan 2017
- Statistical Support: One-to-One Advice, Newcastle University- Thursday 30th of Mar 2017
- CASE 2014 (COPD and Asthma Specialized Educational program) – AstraZeneca- Dubai- UAE, 15th of May 2014.
- Specialized Moodle (e-Learning), Ajman University, 29th of January 2014
- Self and Time Management, Ajman University of Science and Technology, 17th of February 2014
- Creative Problem Solving, Ajman University, 24-25 June 2013
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea- diagnosis, symptoms and treatments. 4th of April 2019, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP9JVuK7DB0&t=124s
- Gastro-esophageal Reflux Awareness in the UAE, Alwousta Channel/ Sharjah,16th June 2018, (talk starts at minute 32.00) https://youtu.be/6pnQsVpbvVc
- Diabetes in children and adolescents in the UAE, Alwousta Channel/ Sharjah, 7th of January 2018 (talk starts at minute 30.00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll8Fk3MKXQA&t=2741s
- Anorexia Nervosa-28th May 2016, Al-hurra TV- Dubai, https://youtu.be/ek8HS50DjDc
- Drug food interaction, Dubai TV , 11th April 2016, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gzNIUMrOZ0
- Vegetarian diet-29th February 2016, Dubai TV, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1D_wB0si3Y
- Malabsorption and malnutrition, Dubai TV , 31st March 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lsWg9r_RFU
- Nutrition in hot weather, Dubai TV, 10th August 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMriPfJdCuU
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Diseas 28th Sep 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06i-W8teC
- Pharmacy Practice and Pharmaceutical Care
- Patients Assessment and Clinical Chemistry
- Clinical Toxicology and First Care
- Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience III
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- Member in European Respiratory Society/ British Thoracic Society, ERS/BTS- UK, July 2017 to date.
- Member in Emirates Medical Association- Emirates Pharmacy Society/ Emirates Clinical Pharmacists Group, September 2018 to date. MOH Licensing Examination April 2004
- Member in Arab Women Society at Newcastle University- UK, October 2018 to date.
- Member in the Syrian Pharmaceutical Association – Syria, April 2004 to date.