Maher Al-dabbas was born in Irbid, Jordan, in 1969. Dr. Al-Dabbas earned his B.Sc. Degree in nutrition and food technology from the University of Jordan, Jordan, in 1992, and a PhD degree in Agricultural sciences from Kagoshima University, Japan, in 2007.
In 2007, he joined the Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology, The University of Jordan, as assistant professor, and in 2012 he became associate professor and in Nov., 2016 he granted a full professorship. In Sep., 2018 he became the Chairman of the Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan until Oct., 2020.
His current research interests, but not limited, include method of food processing and preservation and their effect on phenolic and antioxidant activities, bioactivity of natural compounds, food analysis and food sciences in general. Dr Al-Dabbas has many research articles that have been published in highly ranked peer reviewed international journals and has participated in many international conferences. He has also supervised the research work for more than 15 postgraduate students.
He is a member of the Editorial Board of several peer reviewed journals. Throughout his profession, he received the distinguished researcher award from the University of Jordan in 2012.
phD in agricultural sciences- Kagoshima university - Japan, 2007
BSC in Nutrition and Food Technology-The University of Jordan, Jordan , 1992
Natural products and plant secondary metaboilities bioactivities ( isolation and idintification of compounds), antioxidant, antimicrobial, anticancer, antihyperglycemic compounds, Functional compounds in food, pesticides residues in food, food sciences and technology, and food processing and preservation techniques.
- Al-Dabbas, M., Al-Jaloudi, R., Abdullah, M and Abughoush, M ( 2023). Characterization of Olive Oil Volatile Compounds after Elution through Selected Bleaching Materials—Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry Analysis. Molecules, 28, e6444.
- Al-Dabbas, M., Joudeh, K., Abughoush, M., Al-Dalali, S (2023). Effect of processing and preservation on total phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of garlic (Allium Sativum). Journal of the Chilean Chemical Society, 68 (2), 5822- 5826.
- Abughoush, M., Olaimat., A, Al-Holy,M., Al-Dabbas, M., Alavi, S., Maghaydah, S., Choudhuy, I., Nour, M., Abu – Ghoush, L, ( 2023). Evaluation of food quality and safety parameters and food safety knowledge and practices of food handlers at fast foods restaurants at universities in Jordan during COVID-19. Heliyon Journal, 9 (8), e18936.
- Al-Dabbas, M, Al-Jaloudi, R, Al-Ismail, K., Bani Mustafa, S, (2022). Impact of several physical treatments on the improvement of some quality parameters of crude olive oil. Rivista Italiana Delle Sostane Grasse, 99, 111-118.
- Al-Ismail, K., Al-Atewi, R., Al-Dabbas, M., Ajo, R, (2022). Antioxidant and Α-amylase inhibition activity of Ruta chalepensis L extracts. Carpathian Journal of Food Science and Technology, 14(1), 113-120.
- Al-Ismail, K., Takruri, H., Tayyem, R., Al-Dabbas, M, Abdelrahim, D, (2021). Trans fatty acids content of sweets and appetisers traditionally consumed in Jordan. Rivista Italiana Delle Sostane Grasse, 98, 131-137.
- Takruri, H., Al-Ismail, K., Tayyem, R., Al-Dabbas, M, (2020). Composition of local Jordanian Food Dishes. (1st Ed.), Amman: Dar Zuhdi for Publishing and Distribution, Jordan
- Awaisheh,S., Rahahleh, R., Omar, S., Al-Dabbas, M., Haddad, M., Ibrahim, S, (2020). Efficacy of cinnamon and Qysoom essential oils, alone and in combination, to retard lipid oxidation in olive oil and frozen beef-burger models. Journal of Food Chemistry and Nanotechnology, 6(3), 117-123.
- Albaz, F., Al-Dabbas, M, (2020).Impact of salting and Arabic gum coating with or without antioxidants on the oxidative stability of cashew nuts during storage. International Journal of Applied and Natural Sciences, 9 (3),1-14.
- Al-Dabbas, M., Otoom, H.,Al-Antary, T , (2019). Impact of honey color from Jordanian flora on total phenolic and flavonoids contents and antioxidant activity. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 28 (9), 6898-6907.
- Al-Dabbas Maher, Majd Mumneh, Mahmoud Abu-Ghoush, Balkees Abuawad “Impact of processing and preservation methods on total phenolics, flavonoids and antioxidant activities of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.). In: AAU international conference on Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, 18-19 January, 2023, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Al-Dabbas M. Maher “Antioxidant and α-amylase inhibitory activities of different extracts of olive leaves from Jordan” In: AAU international conference on Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, 18-19 January, 2023, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Al-Dabbas M. Maher* Khalid Al-Ismail and Sabal Bani Mustafa "Influence of Several Physical Treatments on the Improvement of Some Quality Parameters of Olive Oil " In : International Conference on Food, Agriculture and Animal Sciences (ICOFAAS 2019) Nov. 8-11, 2019, Antalya, Turkey.
- Al-Dabbas M. Maher* and Heba Otoom” Impact of honey color from Jordanian flora on total phenolics and flavonoids contents and antioxidant activity”. In : The International Conference on Agronomy and Food Science and Technology (AgroFood) June 20-21, 2019, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Al-Dabbas M. Maher* and Asma Shaderma. Evaluation of Cypermethrin and Chlorpyrifos Pesticides Residues in Jordanian Tomato Fruits and Effect of Ozonation on Residues Degradation. In: The 6th International Conference of The Arab Society for Medical Research Feb, 20 – 24, 2018, Luxor, Egypt.
- Al-Dabbas M. Maher* and Shereen Al-Kharabsheh. Antioxidant and α-amylase inhibitory activities of selected medicinal plants grown in Jordan.
In: The 5th International Conference of The Arab Society for Medical Research October, 28 – 31th 2016, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
- Al-Dabbas, M., Al-Antary, T. Shderma, A. Comparison between effects of three treatments for different periods of time on methomyl pesticide in tomato juice. The 4th International Conference on Emerging Trends in Scientific Research (ICETSR)28-29 November, 2015, Nippon Hotel, Istanbul-Turkey. V4, ISBN: 978-969-9952-02-9
- The Fifth Conference of Research Thesis and dissertation – participant and chairman, 16-17/ April/ 2014. The University of Jordan- Amman, Jordan.
- Al-Antary, T. Shderma, A and Al-Dabbas, M. Monitoring of Methomyl, Oxamyl and Carbosulfan Pesticides Residues in Local Tomatoes and in Imported Tomato Juice, and Studying the Effect of Ozonation, UV-radiation and Heat Treatment on these Pesticides Residues in Tomato Juice. The 11th Arab Congress of Plant Protection, At Arab Soc of Plant Protection and Faculty OF Agric, Al Balqa Applied University, Al-Salt, Jordan DOI: 10.13140/2.1.1474.2720 Conference. 11, Nov.2014.
- 10. Al-Dabbas, M. Effect of partial replacement of sucrose with the artificial sweetener sucralose on the physico-chemical, sensory, microbial characteristics, and final cost saving of orange nectar. In: 2nd International conference on biotechnology engineering ICBio E`11.PP: 445-448. International Islamic University Malaysia, Kualalumpur, 17-19, May 2011.
- 11. Al-Dabbas, M. M. Antidiabetic properties of plants: An update. In: Conference on updates in nutrition management of diabetics and elderly. Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan 23-24 Nov., 2011.
- Chairman of the Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan from Sep., 2018 until Sep., 2020
- Full professor at Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan from Nov, 2016 until now.
- Associate professor at Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan from Nov, 2012 until Nov., 2016.
- Assistant professor at Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan from Sep, 2007 until Nov., 2012.
- Supervisor of the dairy plant unit at Dept. of Nutrition and Food Technology-University of Jordan from Sep, 2009 until Sep., 2010.
- Laboratory supervisor, Department of Nutrition and Food Technology, University of Jordan from 15-March-1993 until March 2003.
- Manager assistant at International Enterprises and Trading Co., Amman from 9- June-1992 Until 1st of December 1992.
- Herbs and Natural products production manager at AL-Razi Drug Store. Amman, from 1st of December 1992 until 15-March-1993.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- Advanced Food Chemistry
- Fruits and Vegetables Technology
1. Food chemistry
- Food Analysis
- Quality control
- Principles of Nutrition and Food Sciences
- Principles of Food Science
- Principles of Nutrition
- Food additives
- Cereal technolgy
10. Confectionery and candy processing
- 11. Principles of Food preparation
12. Trainning in food science and technology
Agricultural Engineers Association in Jordan. Since July, 1992.
- JJAS (Jordan Japan Academic Society), since 2009.
- Jordanian society for sensory evaluation of food. Since March 2011.
- JSMO (Jordan Standards and Metrology Organization)- Member of the
advisory board for the Quality Mark certificaation, since2012)
- JSMO Technical expert for quality mark certification