I am a professor in Clinical Nutrition. My teaching interests are in nutritional assessment and medical nutrition therapy. I have clinical research experience particularly in the area of functional foods. I have a good knowledge of strengths, limitations, and areas of potential improvement of human nutrition trials. I am also conducting meta-analysis research on dietary interventions to reduce risk factors for chronic diseases. I conducted meta-analyses to be used in Health Canada food-health claim petition for a number of functional ingredients including beta-glucan, soy protein, and flaxseed. I have published more than 30 peer-reviewed research articles and reviews including a review on clinical trial design. My published meta-analyses have been recognized by regulatory agencies such as The European Food Safety Authority, and the United States Food and Drug Administration.
Mcgill University - Canada
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Evidence-based nutrition: Meta-analyses
- Functional foods and nutraceuticals for cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Plant sterols (phytosterols)
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Health claims
- Lipid metabolism
- Nutritional assessment
- AbuMweis S, Abu Omran D, Al-Shami I, Jew S. The ratio of eicosapentaenoic acid to docosahexaenoic acid as a modulator for the cardio-metabolic effects of omega-3 supplements: a meta-regression of randomized clinical trials. Complement Ther Med. 2021 Jan 5:102662. doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2021.102662. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33418065.
- Alzoughool F, Alanagreh L, Abumweis S, Atoum M. Cerebrovascular comorbidity, high blood levels of C - reactive protein and D-dimer are associated with disease outcomes in COVID-19 patients. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2020 Nov 11. doi: 10.3233/CH-201002. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33185593.
- AbuMweis S, Sunil PK, Jones PJH. Triacylglycerol-lowering effect of docosahexaenoic acid is not influenced by single nucleotide polymorphisms involved in lipid metabolism in humans. Lipids. 2018 Sep;53(9):897-908. doi: 10.1002/lipd.12096. Epub 2018 Nov 8. PMID: 30407633. (JIF= 1.936)
- AbuMweis S, Alatrashb RM, Tayyem R, Hammoudehd A. Sex and age are associated with the use of specific dietary supplements among people exercising in gyms: Cross-sectional analysis from Amman, Jordan. Med J Nutrition Metab. 2019 12(1): 1-11
- AbuMweis S, Jew S, Tayyem R, Agraib L. Eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid containing supplements modulate risk factors for cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized placebo-control human clinical trials. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2018; 31(1):67-84. (JIF= 2.681)
- Tayyem RF, Al-Shudifat AE, Johannessen A, Bawadi HA, AbuMweis SS, Agraib LM, Allhedan SS, Haj-Husein I, Azab M. Dietary patterns and the risk of coronary heart disease among Jordanians: A case-control study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2018 ;28(3):262-269. (JIF= 3.381)
- Al-Shudifat AE, Johannessen A, Azab M, Al-Shdaifat A, AbuMweis SS, Agraib LM, Tayyem RF. Risk factors for coronary artery disease in patients undergoing elective coronary angiography in Jordan. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. 2017;17(1):183. doi: 10.1186/s12872-017-0620-4. 2017. (JIF= 1.812)
- AbuMweis S, Thandapilly SJ, Storsley J, Ames N. Effect of barley β-glucan on postprandial glycaemic response in the healthy human population: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Funct Foods, 2016; 27: 329-342. (JIF= 3.470)
- Tayyem RF, Bawadi HA, AbuMweis SS, Allehdan S, Agraib L, Ghazzawi HA, Al-Mannai MA, Musaiger AO. Association between mass media and body weight concern among Jordanian adolescents' residents of Amman: the role of gender and obesity. Environ Health Prev Med. 2016;21(6):430-438. (JIF= 1.376)
- Tayyem RF, Bawadi HA, Shehadah I, AbuMweis SS, Agraib LM, Al-Jaberi T, Al-Nusairr M, Heath DD, Bani-Hani KE. Meats, milk and fat consumption in colorectal cancer. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2016 ;29(6):746-756. (JIF= 2.681)
- Tayyem RF, Bawadi HA, Shehadah I, Agraib LM, AbuMweis SS, Al-Jaberi T, Al-Nusairr M, Bani-Hani KE, Heath DD. Dietary patterns and colorectal cancer. Clin Nutr. 2017 Jun;36(3):848-852. (JIF= 5.490)
- Abu Mweis SS, Tayyem RF, Shehadah I, Bawadi HA, Agraib LM, Bani-Hani KE, Al-Jaberi T, Al-Nusairr M. Food groups and the risk of colorectal cancer: results from a Jordanian case-control study. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2015; 24(4):313-20. (JIF= 2.886)
- Tayyem RF, Bawadi HA, Shehadah IN, Abu-Mweis SS, Agraib LM, Bani-Hani KE, Al-Jaberi T, Al-Nusairr M, Heath DD. Macro- and micronutrients consumption and the risk for colorectal cancer among Jordanians. Nutrients. 2015; 10;7(3):1769-86. (JIF= 4.197)
- Tayyem RF, Shehadah I, MD, Abu-Mweis SS, Bawadi HA, Bani-Hani KE, Al-Jaberi T, Al-Nusairr M, Heath DD. Fruit and vegetable intake among Jordanians: Results from a case-control study of colorectal cancer. Cancer Control. 2014.;21(4):350-60. (JIF= 2.009)
- AbuMweis SS, Marinangeli CPF, Frohlich J, Jones PJ. Implementing phytosterols into medical practice as a cholesterol-lowering strategy: Overview of efficacy, effectiveness and safety. Can J Cardiol. 2014; 30:1225-1231. (JIF= 4.524)
- Tayyem RF, Al-Hazzaa HM, Abu-Mweis SS, Bawadi H, Musaiger AO, Ala' Qatatsheh. Association of lifestyle factors with obesity indices among adolescents living in Amman. Malaysian J Nutr. 2014; 20(1):51-62.
- Tayyem RF,Al-Hazzaa HM, Abu-Mweis SS, Bawadi H, and Musaiger AO. Dietary habits and physical activity level among Jordanian adolescents attending private versus public schools. East Mediterr Health J. 8;20(7):416-23.
- AbuMweis SS, Tayyem RF, Bawadi HA, Musaiger AO, Al-Hazzaa HM. Eating habits, physical activity, and sedentary behaviors of Jordanian adolescents' residents of Amman. Mediterr J Nutr Metab. 2014; (7),):67-74.
- Tayyem RF,Dajani R, KhaderYS, AbuMweis SS,Fatahallah R,Bawadi HA. Nutrients Intake and lifestyle factors by diabetes status of Circ
- Tayyem RF, Shehadeh IN, Abumweis SS, Bawadi HA, Hammad SS, Bani-Hani KE, Al-Jaberi TM, Alnusair MM. Physical inactivity, water intake and constipation as risk factors for colorectal cancer among adults in Jordan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14(9):5207-12.
- Tayyem RF, Abu-Mweis SS, Bawadi HA, Agraib L, Bani-Hani K. Validation of a food frequency questionnaire to assess macronutrient and micronutrient intake among Jordanians. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013 Nov 12. pii: S2212-2672(13)01374-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2013.08.019.
- Amir Shaghaghi M, Abumweis SS, Jones PJ. Cholesterol-lowering efficacy of plant sterols/stanols provided in capsule and tablet formats: results of a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013 Nov;113(11):1494-503. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2013.07.006.
- Tayyem RF, Abu-Mweis SS, Bawadi HA. Low self-efficacy lead to failure in adopting CHO-counting approach to control diabetes: Pilot study. Pak J Nutr. 2013 12 (7): 651-654.
- AbuMweis SS, Jew S, Ames NP. β-glucan from barley and its lipid lowering capacity: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010 Dec;64(12):1472-80.
- AbuMweis SS, Jew S, Jones PJ. Optimizing clinical trial design for assessing the efficacy of functional foods. Nutr Rev. 2010 Aug;68(8):485-99.
- Rideout TC, Harding SV, Mackay D, Abumweis SS, Jones PJ. High basal fractional cholesterol synthesis is associated with nonresponse of plasma LDL cholesterol to plant sterol therapy. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Jul;92(1):41-6
- Jew S, AbuMweis SS, Jones PJ. Evolution of the human diet: linking our ancestral diet to modern functional foods as a means of chronic disease prevention. J Med Food. 2009 Oct;12(5):925-34.
- Jones PJ, Jew S, AbuMweis S. The effect of dietary oleic, linoleic, and linolenic acids on fat oxidation and energy expenditure in healthy men. Metabolism. 2008 Sep;57(9):1198-203.
- Jones PJ, AbuMweis SS. Phytosterols as functional food ingredients: linkages to cardiovascular disease and cancer. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009 Mar;12(2):147-51.
- AbuMweis SS, Barake R, Jones PJ. Plant sterols/stanols as cholesterol lowering agents: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Food Nutr Res. 2008;52. doi: 10.3402/fnr.v52i0.1811.
- AbuMweis SS, Jones PJ. Cholesterol-lowering effect of plant sterols. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2008 Dec;10(6):467-72
- Rudkowska I, AbuMweis SS, Nicolle C, Jones PJ. Cholesterol-lowering efficacy of plant sterols in low-fat yogurt consumed as a snack or with a meal. J Am Coll Nutr. 2008 Oct;27(5):588-95.
- Rudkowska I, AbuMweis SS, Nicolle C, Jones PJ. Association between non-responsiveness to plant sterol intervention and polymorphisms in cholesterol metabolism genes: a case-control study. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Aug;33(4):728-34.
- AbuMweis SS, Vanstone CA, Lichtenstein AH, Jones PJ. Plant sterol consumption frequency affects plasma lipid levels and cholesterol kinetics in humans. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jun;63(6):747-55.
- Kassis AN, Vanstone CA, AbuMweis SS, Jones PJ. Efficacy of plant sterols is not influenced by dietary cholesterol intake in hypercholesterolemic individuals.Metabolism. 2008 Mar;57(3):339-46.
- Santosa S, Varady KA, AbuMweis S, Jones PJ. Physiological and therapeutic factors affecting cholesterol metabolism: does a reciprocal relationship between cholesterol absorption and synthesis really exist? Life Sci. 2007 Jan 16;80(6):505-14.
- AbuMweis SS, Vanstone CA, Ebine N, Kassis A, Ausman LM, Jones PJ, Lichtenstein AH. Intake of a single morning dose of standard and novel plant sterol preparations for 4 weeks does not dramatically affect plasma lipid concentrations in humans. J Nutr. 2006 Apr;136(4):1012-6.
- AbuMweis SS, Nicolle C, Jones PJ. Plant sterol-enriched products for reducing blood cholesterol. Food Sci Tech Bull. 2006; 2:101-110.
- Berger A, Jones PJ, Abumweis SS. Plant sterols: factors affecting their efficacy and safety as functional food ingredients. Lipids Health Dis. 2004 Apr 7;3:5.
Peter J.H. Jones,Suhad S. AbuMweis. Simon B. Myrie. Efficacy of plant sterols when provided in capsule and tablet formats. 103rd American Oil Chemists' Society Annual Meeting, Long Beach, California, USA, 2012 (Oral presentation).
AbuMweis SS, Jew S, Ames NP. Barley β-glucan and its cholesterol lowering capacity: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Federal Food Safety and Nutrition Meeting. Ottawa, Canada. 2009. (Oral presentation).
Suhad S. AbuMweis, Alice H. Lichtenstein, Peter J.H. Jones. Effect of frequency of dosing of plant sterols on plasma cholesterol levels and synthesis rate. Experimental Biology, Washington, DC, 2007 (Oral presentation).
Iwona Rudkowska, Suhad S. AbuMweis, Catherine Nicolle, Peter J.H. Jones. Plant sterols consumed in low-fat yogurt as a snack lower cholesterol. Experimental Biology, Washington, DC, 2007 (Oral presentation).
Suhad S. AbuMweis, Catherine A. Vanstone, Alice H. Lichtenstein, Peter J.H. Jones. Short-term efficacy of plant sterols consumed at breakfast or at each meal in lowering blood cholesterol levles. Canadian Society for Clinical Nutrtion Meeting, Edmonton, Alberta, 2006 (Poster abstract award).
Suhad S. AbuMweis, Catherine A. Vanstone, Naoyuki Ebine, Peter J.H. Jones, Alice H. Lichtenstein. Lack of efficacy of plant sterol preparation taken as a single morning dose. Experimental Biology, San Diego, CA, 2005 (Poster).
Iwona Rudkowska, Suhad S. AbuMweis, Catherine Nicolle, Peter J.H. Jones. Non-responsiveness to plant sterol treatment and possible polymorphisms: ABCG5, ABCG8 and NPC1L1. Experimental Biology, Washington, DC, 2007 (Poster).
- Director, Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, The Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan. Sep 2017 - Sep 2019
- Professor, Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, The Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan. May 2020
- Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, The Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan. Sep 2014 - April 2020
- Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, The Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan. 2008- Sep 2014
- Researcher, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. Summer 2008, 2012, 2013
Conducted meta-analyses to be used in Health Canada food-health claim petition for a number of functional ingredients
- Clinical Research Coordinator, Mary Emily Clinical Nutrition Research Unit. McGillUniversity. Montreal, Canada. 2003-2005
- Designed human clinical trials
- Supported submission of new human clinical trials including preparation of protocols, and applications for submission to the Institutional Review Board
- Maintained documentation and files for all clinical trials
- Participated in all aspects of clinical trials including initiating, investigating and monitoring data collection
- Tracked and managed studies as per established timeline, budget and resources.
- Trained study personnel in study specific procedures
- Evaluated, monitored and documented all study results as well as classified and analyzed data
- Conducted laboratory analysis
- Maintained familiarity with relevant scientific literature
- Wrote and submitted publications to journals and conferences
- Assessment of Nutritional Status
- Clinical Nutrition
- Medical Nutrition Therapy 2
- Human Nutrition
- Nutrition counseling
- Fundmentals of Nutrition
- Nutrition Across the Life Span
- Nutrition and Health (for nursing)
- Principles of Nutrition
- Nutrition, Health, and Safety for the Young Child
- Internship in Medical Therapeutic Nutrition
- Internship in Nutritional Assessment and Counsceling
- Research Methods
- Special Topics
- Nutrition Counseling and Education
The ratio of eicosapentaenoic acid to docosahexaenoic acid as a modulator for the cardio-metabolic effects of omega-3 supplements: a meta-regression of randomized clinical trials
Published in: Complement Ther Med
Jan 05, 2021
Cerebrovascular comorbidity, high blood levels of C - reactive protein and D-dimer are associated with disease outcomes in COVID-19 patients
Published in: Clin Hemorheol Microcirc
Nov 11, 2020