Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice Research Group
- Clinical pharmacy research
- Community pharmacy research
- Natural/Herbal medicine research
- Promoting public health and awareness research
- Assessing pharmacists attitudes and behavior
In clinical pharmacy research, the group is focusing on:
- Ways to prevent or reduce pediatric asthma hospitalization.
- Reporting adverse drug reactions. In community pharmacy research, the group is running one project.
- Factors affecting patients' preferences towards community pharmacy services in UAE.
- Screening of COPD in community pharmacy. In relation to natural/herbal medicine research, the group is running 2 projects.
- Assessing health education on prompting public health such as antismoking campaign and obesity.
- Assessing counterfeit drugs and its impact on public health and economy are also researched.
- Evaluating drug products storage conditions by the community are also dealt with.
- Assessing the pharmacist role in providing specific drug information to information requestor and evaluating the effect of courses studies in the BSc Pharmacy program in developing the required professional skills.
- The effect of tetrahydroxystilbenes isolated from Kangaroo Island propolis on SIRT-1 enzyme activity.
- Evaluation of propolis commercial preparations.
- Colin Duke, Van Tran, Rujee Duke, Abdallah Abu Mellal, George Plunkett, Douglas King, Kaiser Hamid, Karen Wilson, Russell Barrett, Jeremy Bruhl. “A sedge plant as the source of Kangaroo Island propolis rich in prenylated cinnamate and stilbenes.” Submitted to Phytochemistry (PHYTOCHEM-D-16-00072), Feb. 2016.
- Abdallah Abu Mellal, Amira Ahmed, Colin Duke, Van Tran. "The pharmacological effect of stilbenes isolated from Kangaroo Island propolis on SIRT-1 enzyme activity". Submitted to Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal (SPJ-D-16-00082), Dec 2015.
- Muaed Alomar, Abdallah Abu Mellal. "Patients' preferences toward the gender of pharmacist in community pharmacy in Al Ain, UAE". International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 7, (9): 281-285, 2015.
- Abu Mellal A, Albluwe T, Al-Ashkar D. “The prevalence of depressive symptoms and its socioeconomic determinants among university students in Al Ain, UAE”. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol 6, Issue 5, 2014.
- Duke C, Duke RK, Tran VH, Abu-Mellal A, King DI. "KANGAROO ISLAND PROPOLIS TYPES AND THEIR DISTRIBUTION". September 2013, apimondia.com
- Al-Tabakha MM, Akoulah LH, Fahelelbom KM. Drug Information in Community Pharmacy and Outpatient Pharmacy in Al Ain City, U.A.E.: A Descriptive Study. International Journal of Pharmacy. 3(2): 316-322, 2013.
- Koolaji N, Abu-Mellal A, Tran VH, Duke RK, Duke CC. “Synthesis of C- and O-prenylated tetrahydroxystilbenes and O-prenylated cinnamates and their action towards cancer cells”. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Volume 63, May 2013, Pages 415–422.
- Abu-Mellal A, Koolaji N, Duke R, Tran V, Duke C. “Prenylated cinnamate and stilbenes from Kangaroo Island propolis and their antioxidant activity”. Phytochemistry, Vol.77 (2012) 251-259.